Merry new year! Please enjoy this fourth annual catalog of International Legal Technology Association (ILTA) programming of interest to Knowledge Management (KM) professionals. Because we all get busy, I assume that you might have might have missed some of ILTA’s 2019 peer-powered programming. Plus, let’s be honest, it can be difficult to know what is out there when the content is spread among podcast and blog platforms, magazines, conferences and recordings. In this post, I gather all those links together and organize them by topic.
Each year, I make judgment calls on what is relevant to KM professionals. KM is a varied and evolving discipline that seems to have a hand in a lot of parts of the business. Thus, I include a broad range of topics, focusing on programming within those topics produced by or targeted to the KM community. It’s a bit subjective and not a comprehensive catalog of content produced by ILTA in 2019. I encourage you to do your own exploration. Know that there is much more content in the ILTA archives, particularly if your area of interest is one adjacent to KM, such as adoption, data analytics, information governance, litigation support or project management.
In developing this list, particularly for four years running, some themes emerge for me.
- Each year, the topics become broader. This year, we also see many new contributors alongside industry leaders. This growing variety highlights for me the continuing evolution of KM, the expansion of its scope and its integration into more business processes. As the reach of KM grows, more people join the community as both contributors and consumers. We are taking over the world, or at least legal tech.
- We continue to see a lot of interest in big, abstract topics like innovation and artificial intelligence, but like last year, the emphasis is on how to apply these concepts and technologies rather than the theory. In addition, the programming reflects a practical bent with project management, adoption and change management content increasing.
- I was surprised that there was relatively little programming on more traditional aspects of KM, such as practice resource collections, search and document automation. Last year, we saw renewed focus on these topics with a more strategic approach. Does the reduced programming reflect a shift in focus or simply that we don’t need training and discussion about it? Based on conversations throughout the year, I believe that focus is still strong among the community, but perhaps we feel comfortable enough with our approaches that we are using our learning time on thornier topics.
Some links below require ILTA membership to access. Be sure to log into the ILTA website as a first step. It’s a long list this year, so refill your beverage and grab a comfy chair before digging in.
Adoption & Change Management
- Debra Baker, Navigating Change Inside Law, Blog, Jul. 22, 2019.
- Sharon Ford, What are the Best Ways to Drive Adoption and Reduce the Risk of Resistance to Change?, KM Blog, Jul. 25, 2019.
- Jason Dirkx, Amy Monaghan, Michael Ertel, and Barbara Gondim Da Rocha, Preparing Today’s Lawyers for Tomorrow’s Technology, ILTACON, Aug. 19, 2019.
- Joy Heath Rush, Kathy Krieger and Brianna Leung, Telling Stories with Impact: Using Stories to Sell Your Ideas, ILTACON, Aug. 21, 2019
- Patricia Johansen, Daniel Martin Katz, Leigh Snider, and Bob Spector, Scaling Up Adoption: Getting Attorneys to Use and Trust AI (AI Series, Session #4), ILTACON, Aug. 22, 2019.
- Joe Davis, Amy Monaghan and Gwyn McAlpine, Evolving KM Episode 9: Artificial Intelligence: “I Don’t Care if Your Technology is a Ham Sandwich”, Podcast, Feb. 13, 2019.
- Shawn Hainsworth, A Non-Technical Introduction to Machine Learning Algorithms, Blog, Jun. 28, 2019.
- Laurel Englehardt, AI Case Studies Recap, Blog, Jul. 31, 2019.
- Shawn Hainsworth, Resources for Getting Started With Machine Learning, Blog, Aug. 1, 2019.
- Brad Blickstein, Jeremiah Weasenforth, Benjamin Alarie, and Ann McCrackin, AI Foundations: Artificial Intelligence Basics in Legal (AI Series, Session #1), ILTACON, Aug. 19, 2019.
- Svetlana Grigoryeva, Shawn Hainsworth, Dan Harsell, Machine Learning and AI in Action (AI Series, Session #2), ILTACON, Aug. 20, 2019.
- Noah Waisberg, Rebecca Crosby, Kevin Miller and Martin Davidson, Contract Review Automation (AI Series, Session #3), ILTACON, Aug. 21, 2019.
- Patrick DiDomenico, Gwyn McAlpine and Michael Bohner, Using Artificial Intelligence to Automate Lawyer Work Product: It’s No Longer a Pipe Dream, ILTACON, Aug. 21, 2019.
- Eric Anderson, Simon Wormwell, Megan Kelly, Nicola Shaver and Heath Harris, AI-Powered Knowledge Management, ILTACON, Aug, 22, 2019.
- Doug Matthews, Doug Austin, Catherine Casey, Lia Majid and Julian Ackert, Choosing a Predictive Coding Approach – Predictive Coding for Dummies, ILTACON, Aug. 22, 2019.
- Gwyn McAlpine, Leveraging Artificial Intelligence to Populate Knowledge Management Repositories, KM Blog, Sept. 16, 2019.
- John Lofy, Here’s The Pitch: Team KM with AI to Differentiate Your Firm, KM White Paper, Oct. 2019.
- Patricia Johansen, Leveraging AI: Are You Ready to Jump into the Pool? The AI Legal Tech Pool, That Is, Blog, Oct. 28, 2019.
- Amy Monaghan, Buying Intelligence: Navigating the AI Supermarket, KM Blog, Oct. 28, 2019.
- Jim Leason, Andy Wishart and Alex Smith, AI-Powered Knowledge Management, ILTACON Europe, Nov. 14, 2019.
- Mark Gerow and Jack Recinto, Domo Arigato Mr. Roboto: How Internal Chatbots Can Save Time and Increase Productivity, Podcast, Apr. 18, 2019.
- Chip Delaney and Jack Thompson, AI/Chatbots and the AI Landscape: How You Use AI and Business Cases for In-House, Podcast, Aug. 12, 2019.
- Flyn Flesher, Gina Anders, Shawnna Hoffman and Skye Jones, Exploration of Chatbots in the Legal Ops Space, ILTACON, Aug. 19, 2019.
- Berys Amor, Introducing Robotic Process Automation (RPA) Into Your Organization, KM Blog, Oct. 15, 2019.
Competitive Intelligence & Research
- Zena Applebaum, Stephanie Dooley and John DiGilio, Cool Tools for Competitive Intelligence, Webinar, Feb. 19, 2019.
- Ann Meyer, Zena Applebaum and David Rueff, Competitive Intelligence: A 360 Degree View of Your Clients, Webinar, Apr. 16, 2019.
- Meredith Williams-Range, Scott Reents, Cliff Nichols, Impact of Advanced Legal Research Tools, ILTACON, Aug. 22, 2019.
- Stephanie Dooley and Elizabeth Whittington, Competitive Intelligence, Blog, Oct. 24, 2019.
- Hunter Goolsby and Wes Settle, Gaining Value Through Analytics of Your Client Data, Webinar, Apr. 18, 2019.
- Tracey Pardo and Mark Thorogood, Power Business Intelligence – 101, Webinar, Jul. 23, 2019.
- Ed Walters, Law in the Era of Legal Data Science: The Impact of Data Analytics in the Legal Industry (Legal Data Science Series, Session #1), ILTACON, Aug, 19, 2019.
- Estelle Rhee and Nathan Cemenska, Best Applications in Visualization Software for Legal Operations, ILTACON, Aug. 22, 2019.
- Mark Thorogood, Melaina Fireman and Andrew Medeiros, Data Visualization in the Legal Industry: Mixing Art and Science for Impact (Legal Data Science Series, Session #4), ILTACON, Aug. 22, 2019.
Search & DMS
- Chad Ergun, Rita Gurevich and Beau Mersereau, Oh Documents, Where Art Thou?, Webinar, Jul. 30, 2019.
- Guy Wiggins, Richard Krzyminski, Douglas Freeman and Richard Robbins, Enterprise Search Vendor Shoot-Out, ILTACON, Aug. 20, 2019.
- Carrie Remhof (moderator), Vishal Agnihotri, Dora Tynes and Alex Eames, Better Than a Phone Book: Enhanced Firm Directory Options, Webinar, May 30, 2019.
- Hunter Goolsby, Laura Galeano and Mikala Stewart, The Good, The Bad and The Abandoned: Experience Management Winners and Losers, ILTACON, Aug. 19, 2019.
- Jacqueline Madarang, Experience Management: A Tale of Two Firms, Marketing Technology White Paper, Oct. 2019.
- Jason Dirkx, Amy Monaghan and Gwyn McAlpine, Evolving KM Episode 10: Lawyering in Your Sleep — An Approach to Legal Product Development, Podcast, Apr. 3, 2019.
- Jason Dirkx and Amy Monaghan, Lawyering in Your Sleep: An Approach to Product Development, Peer to Peer Magazine, Spring 2019.
- Gordon Vala-Webb, The Geography of Legal Innovation – Firms, People, Tech, KM Blog, Jun. 14, 2019.
- Chloe Carver (moderator), Kathleen Hogan and Zena Applebaum, Applied Design Thinking for Legal Service Delivery, Webinar, Aug. 8, 2019.
- Josh Linkner, Keynote: Harnessing Innovation: Turning Raw Ideas Into Powerful Results, ILTACON, Aug. 19, 2019.
- Sukesh Kamra, Isidore Okoro, Tilly Gray and Shawn Curran, Going the Extra Inch: Small Solutions with Big Impact, ILTACON, Aug. 19, 2019.
- Angela Dowd, Beau Mersereau, Joshua Fireman, David Rueff and Christian Zust, Organizing for Innovation (Innovation Series, Session #1), ILTACON, Aug. 19, 2019.
- John Alber, Michelle Mahoney and Daryl Shetterly, Thinking Like a Disruptor (Disruption Series, Session #1), ILTACON, Aug. 19, 2019.
- Anne Costello, Shashi Kara, Bhavisa Patel and Robert Reynolds, Improving Business Processes with No-Code Solutions, ILTACON, Aug. 19, 2019.
- Ron Friedmann and Joshua Fireman, Innovative Thinking Workshop (Innovation Series, Session #2), ILTACON, Aug. 20, 2019.
- Farrah Pepper, Dazza Greenwood, Katie DeBord and Paul Domnick, General Session: Is Disruption a Threat or an Opportunity? , ILTACON, Aug. 20, 2019.
- Ginevra Saylor and Zena Appelbaum, Disruption on the Front Lines (Disruption Series, Session #3), ILTACON, Aug. 21, 2019.
- Justin Hectus, Rajan Gupta, Sukesh Kamra, Joshua Fireman and Nicole Bradick, Meet Your New Innovation Partner: Your Client (Innovation Series, Session #4), ILTACON, Aug. 22, 2019.
- Michael Nogroski and April Heimerl, Creating an Innovation Group in Your Firm: Don’t Be Left Out in the Cold: Part One, Podcast, Oct. 5, 2019.
- Amy Monaghan, RESPECT: Reframing How We Approach Innovation in a Law Firm, KM White Paper, Oct. 2019.
- Daniel Wood, Takeaways from ILTA Roundtable: One Step Forward – Two Back: What is the Least and Most Innovative Thing Your Firm is Doing?, Blog, Oct. 16, 2019.
- Katrina Dittmer, Holly Hanna and Carly Prellwitz, Three Girls and an Intranet, ILTACON, Aug. 21, 2019.
- Holly Hanna, SharePoint as a KM Tool, KM Blog, Oct. 8, 2019.
- Doreen Watt (moderator), Marcia Burris, Steve Lastres and Holly Hanna, Intranet Ideas and Inspirations for Knowledge Management Library Professionals, Webinar, Oct. 30, 2019.
- Carly Prellwitz, Upgrading Your Intranet – Is Working with a Vendor Right for You?, Blog, Dec. 16, 2019.
KM Strategy & General
- Kathleen Hogan, Amy Monaghan and Gwyn McAlpine, Evolving KM Episode 8: Practical KM and Gender Bias, Podcast, Jan. 11, 2019.
- Heather Ritchie, Virtual Roundtable Takeaway Document: KM’s Role in AFAs and Value-Based Billing, Blog, Mar. 28, 2019.
- Chloe Carver and Vishal Agnihotri, How KM Supports Business at the Big Four, Webinar, Apr. 25, 2019.
- Dean Sonderegger, The Future Ready Lawyer Survey Results, Webinar, May 14, 2019.
- Marlene Gebauer, Philip Bryce, Nikki Shaver and Philippa Thomas, Onboarding & Training New KM Professionals, Webinar, May 23, 2019.
- Vin Colavita, A Recap from Yesterday’s ILTA KM Roundtable – KM Around the Globe, Blog, May 29, 2019.
- Michael Mills, Chris Boyd and Dora Tynes, How to Lead a Knowledge Management During a Recession, ILTACON, Aug, 21, 2019.
- Evan Shenkman, Alicia Ryan, Martha Breil and Kate Cain, Future of Knowledge Management: From the Perspective of the Next Generation of Industry Leaders, KM White Paper, Oct. 30, 2019.
- Martha Breil, How to Declutter Your Knowledge Management Collections — Key Takeaways, Blog, Nov. 15, 2019.
Leadership & Professional Development
- Gillian Power, Shawnna Hoffman and Skye Jones, Diversity & Inclusion in the Legal Industry, ILTACON, Aug. 19, 2019.
- Robert Huston and Natalie Pierce, Lead Your Team to Success by Learning to Navigate Your Organizational Culture, ILTACON, Aug, 22, 2019.
- Heather Ritchie, 12 Ways Marketing & Business Development Can Leverage Library & Knowledge Management Teams, KM Blog, Feb. 5, 2019.
- Rachel Shields-Williams, Building Better Bridges: 12 Ways Knowledge Management and Library Teams Can Leverage Marketing and Business Development, KM Blog, Mar. 19, 2019.
- Barry Solomon, Proposal Generation: Part of a Complete Marketing and Knowledge Management Solution, KM Blog, Apr. 25, 2019.
- Scott Winter, Content Integration: The Key to Unlocking Data from Your CRM, ILTA Blog, Aug, 9, 2019.
- Simon Elven, Making it into the Circle of Trust: How Marketing and Business Development Systems Can Help, KM White Paper, Oct. 2019.
- Keith Maziarek, Andrew Medeiros and Justin Ergler, The Crystal Ball Effect: How the Legal Industry is Mining Historical Matter Data to Predict the Future, Webinar, Feb. 27, 2019.
- Adam Stock and Justin Ergler, The SALI Alliance, Webinar, Feb. 28, 2019.
- Carrie Remhof, Virtual Roundtable Takeaway: Matter Profiling Part 2: Moving Forward, Blog, Mar. 28, 2019.
- Jannise Vinson, April Heimerl, Jason Maust and Ryan Conwell, The Software Dating Game: Finding the Best Match for Your Organization, ILTACON, Aug, 22, 2019.
- Brownie Davis, Al Hounsell and Zorik Pesochinsky, A Non-Technical Introduction to the Application Program Interface – What It Is and How to Use It, ILTACON, Aug. 22, 2019.
- Doreen Watt, Azeena Dargis and Amy Monaghan, Project Life Cycle Phases One, Two and Three: Measure Twice, Cut Once, Webinar, Apr. 10, 2019.
- Doreen Watt, Project Life Cycle Phases One, Two and Three: Measure Twice, Cut Once, Blog, Apr. 10, 2019.
- Alisa De Dominicis, How to Pick the Right Projects, Webinar, Apr. 24, 2019.
- Kelly Harbour, Sheri Martinez and Heather Morrow, Just Say No: How to Manage Expectations, Webinar, May 2, 2019.
- April Heimerl and Heather Ritchie, Designing Your Project with Adoption in Mind, Blog, Jul. 9, 2019.
- Caitlin J. Peters, How to Measure Hard-to-Measure Project Success Factors, Blog, Jul. 19, 2019.
There will undoubtedly be much more programming on these and other topics in 2020. To receive notifications about future programming, go to your Member Dashboard to select the topics for which you would like to receive virtual event alerts. Also join the Knowledge Management community (among others), if you have not already, to see announcements of publications and events. Lastly, add the ILTA KM blog to your blog reader so you don’t miss a post. And if you have ideas or requests for programming you would like to see, click on the light bulb in the upper right to submit your suggestion.
If you want to review past years’ programming, click on the links for the 2018, 2017 and 2016 round-up posts. Altogether, these blog posts represent hundreds of hours (or pages, as the case may be) of programming to scratch that learning itch. Enjoy!#KnowledgeManagementandSearch