As last year’s catalog of ILTA’s KM-related programming was well-received, let’s make it an annual event. Think of it as ILTA KM’s holiday letter, without the stories about kids and travel.
As you will see below, ILTA’s KM programming comes in a variety of formats, from articles and blog posts to webinars and ILTACON panels. If you need a refresher on these programming types, refer back to the explanation in last year’s post.
My main observation from putting together the list below is that KM professionals have diverse interests. I focused on content that was targeted to or created by, KM professionals, and the resulting breadth of topics was noteworthy. In addition to KM standbys, like search, portals, expertise location, and strategy, newer categories like artificial intelligence, innovation and data analytics continue to be hot programming topics. But interestingly, marketing, training and project management all make an appearance as well. This rings true to me based on my own experience and conversations with many of you: KM is casting a wider net.
If one of your areas of interests is on the periphery, be sure to check the ILTA archives for additional content. For example, there is much more programming related to data analytics, which bleeds into business intelligence and financial analysis. Or for those of you thinking about training and adoption of KM tools, there is a vibrant User Support community with even more programming. I had to draw the line somewhere.
If you have suggestions for the future programming, submit an IDEA, start a conversation on the Knowledge Management community, or drop a note to a member of the Knowledge Management Content Coordinating Team. Enjoy!
A note on the links: Some do require ILTA membership to access, so be sure to log into the ILTA website as a first step.
- Joe Davis, AI Round-up: A Guide to ILTA’s Artificial Intelligence Content, ILTA KM blog, Mar. 17, 2017 (cross post from ILTA Blog).
- Scott D. Rechtschaffen, Let’s Stop with the Robot Lawyer Memes, Knowledge Management White Paper, Aug. 2017.
- Phil Ayton, Modern KM is Automatic: Keep the Humans, Just Automate the Knowledge, Knowledge Management White Paper, Aug. 2017.
- Andrew Arruda, Samuel Whitman and Martin Tully, The Myths, Realities and Future of Artificial Intelligence and Automation in the Law (Part 1 of 3), ILTACON, Aug. 14, 2017.
- Steve Harmon, Ron Friedmann, Stephen Allen, Katie DeBord and Neil Cameron, Artificial Intelligence in Law: AI in Action (Part 2 of 3), ILTACON, Aug. 15, 2017.
- Jonathan Talbot, Julian Tsisin, Anna Vanderwerff Moca and Amy Monaghan, Artificial Intelligence in Law: From Theory to Practice (Part 3 of 3), ILTACON, Aug. 16, 2017.
- Stephen Poor, Interview, ILTA TV, Aug. 2017 (re: robotic process automation).
- Jason Barnwell, Teresa Britton, Jack Thompson and Dan Hauck, Collaboration: Improving the Client’s Experience, ILTACON, Aug. 14, 2017.
- Jennifer Beaudette, Cindy Thurston Bare, Rose Jones and Glenn Renda, Replacing Email with a Collaboration Platform That Works, ILTACON, Aug. 17, 2017.
- David Hobbie, Report from Tableau Conference: 13,110 Data Enthusiasts Descend on Austin, ILTA KM blog, Jan. 3, 2017.
- Tom Schecker, Edward S. Graham, Lynn K. Oser and Lauren Piccolo-Ingram, Stitching It All Together: Making Your Data Future-Proof, ILTACON, Aug. 14, 2017.
- Jordan Weinstein, Scott Strong and Svetlana Grigoryeva, Business Analytics on a Shoestring, ILTACON, Aug. 15, 2017.
- Noah Waisberg, John A Metz, Brett Tarr and Heather Brock, Big Data and Little Data Are Smarter Together!, ILTACON, Aug. 15, 2017.
- Michael Mills and Eric Felsberg, Data? Science. Now!, ILTACON, Aug. 16, 2017.
- Owen Byrd, William D Henderson and Peter Geovanes, Moneyball for Lawyers: How Legal Analytics is Transforming the Business and Practice of Law, ILTACON, Aug. 16, 2017.
- Andrew Wishart, Robert Lankester and Sarah Wilson, Document Automation in the UK — From Internal Knowledge Management to Client Delivery, ILTA webinar, Dec. 5, 2016.
- Patrick Dundas, Developing a Document Assembly Platform That Works, Knowledge Management White Paper, Aug. 2017.
- Joy Heath Rush, Patricia Johansen, Scott Reid and Doug Simpson, Why Isn’t Document Assembly Transforming the Practice of Law?, ILTACON, Aug. 15, 2017.
- Sherry Kappel and Judye Releford, Don’t Short Circuit Document Assembly: Five is Alive!, ILTACON, Aug. 15, 2017.
Document Management/Information Governance
- Ginevra Saylor, Are You Ready to Go Paperless?, ILTA KM blog, Feb. 1, 2017.
- Joshua Fireman and Ron Friedmann, Quoth the RAVN: How iManage’s RAVN Acquisition Will Affect the Legal Market, ILTA KM blog, May 25, 2017.
- Joe Davis, iManage Acquires RAVN – A Look Forward, ILTA blog, May 30, 2017.
- Jennifer O’Brien and Matthew Schlamkowitz, Knowledge Management: Enrich Your Existing Documents with Metadata, ILTA webinar, Sept. 26, 2017.
- Tom Baldwin, Your New Biggest Security Threat – DMS Adoption, ILTA KM blog, Dec. 12, 2017.
Experience & Expertise
- Cindy Thurston Bare, Are You Experienced? One Firm’s Experience Management Journey, ILTA Marketing and Business Development White Paper, Apr. 2017.
- Ron Friedmann, A New Era for Managing and Finding Experience in Large Law Firms, ILTA KM blog, Jun. 9, 2017.
- Vishal Agnihotri, Gail Bergmiller, Dora Tynes and Ramin Vosough, Expertise Location and Social Collaboration: Three Case Studies on a Winning Formula, Knowledge Management White Paper, Aug. 2017.
- Chris Boyd, People-Finding: Achieving One of KM’s Three “P”s, ILTA KM blog, Dec. 5, 2016.
- Shengshi Zhao, KM in a Time of Innovation, Knowledge Management White Paper, Aug. 2017.
- Pablos Holman, Keynote: Innovate or Die Trying: From the Mind of a World-Renowned Hacker, ILTACON, Aug. 14, 2017.
- Tricia Dachel, Jessica Hackett, Jeff Sabado and Jennifer Schumacher, Becoming the In-House Shop for Custom Client Application Development, ILTACON, Aug. 14, 2017.
- Richard Krzyminski, Michael Guernon, J. Monet Fauntleroy and Andy Peterson, Responsible Innovation, ILTACON, Aug. 17, 2017.
- Michael Dov Nogroski, Gwyneth McAlpine and Sarah Korth, You’ve Created an Innovative Product … Now What?, ILTACON, Aug. 17, 2017.
- Money Fauntleroy, Interview, ILTA TV, Aug. 2017 (re: driving innovative technologies).
- Jay D. Hull, Interview, ILTA TV, Aug. 2017 (re: investing in innovation).
- Gwyn McAlpine, Interview, ILTA TV, Aug. 2017 (re: developing innovative products).
KM Strategy & General
- Tom Baldwin, Cindy Thurston Bare, Philip Bryce, Michael Dov Nogroski and Holly M. Riccio, Starting and Optimizing Knowledge Management Programs: Perspectives Across the Spectrum, ILTA webinar, Feb. 23, 2017.
- Cindy Thurston Bare, Ginevra Saylor, Evan J. Shenkman and Michael Dov Nogroski, Key Takeaways from Continuing the Discussion — Starting a Knowledge Management Program, Apr. 26, 2017 (virtual roundtable takeaways).
- Ron Friedmann, Changing Knowledge Management (KM) Priorities, ILTA KM blog, Jul. 21, 2017 (virtual roundtable takeaways).
- Sukesh Kamra, Knowledge Management Toolkit: Then, Now and What’s Next, ILTA webinar, Jul. 28, 2017.
- Milena Higgins, Embracing Change: Lessons from an Immigrant, ILTA KM blog, Aug. 6, 2017.
- Ginevra Saylor, A Decade of Data: 2016 KM Survey Results, Knowledge Management White Paper, Aug. 2017.
- Scott Rechtschaffen, Sheila Mennis, Carrie Remhof, Ivan Valentine and Jessica Marlette, Small Projects with Big Impact, ILTACON, Aug. 15, 2017.
- Andrea Alliston and Greg Merkle, User Experience Design Immersive: Designing KM Tools, ILTACON, Aug. 16, 2017.
- Patrick DiDomenico, Patrick Dundas, Sally Gonzalez, Meredith Green, KM Tools Lawyers Love, ILTACON, Aug. 17, 2017.
- V. Mary Abraham and Chris Boyd, Sustainable KM, ILTACON, Aug. 17, 2017.
- Chris Boyd, Interview, ILTA TV, Aug. 2017 (re: sustainable KM and adding value).
- Scott Rechtschaffen, Interview, ILTA TV, Aug. 2017, (re: small projects with big impact).
- Ron Friedman, Prosper in Flat Times with Knowledge Management, ILTA webinar, Nov. 14, 2017.
- Vivian Liu-Somers, Recap of KM’s First Quarterly Roundtable, ILTA blog, Dec. 5, 2017.
- Byong Kim, Melissa LaFlair and Elizabeth Satterfield, Leveraging Allied Professionals to Deliver Effective Client Pitches, ILTACON, Aug. 15, 2017.
- Brad Miller and Scott Winter, The CRM Identity Crisis, ILTACON, Aug. 16, 2017.
- Laura Galeano, Adam Severson and Paul Vandermeer, Bridging the Gap Between Marketing and KM, ILTACON, Aug. 17, 2017.
- Andrea Alliston and Nicola Shaver, How to Survive Complex Projects: Search, Intranet and Beyond (a Multi-Part Series), ILTA KM blog, Feb. 27, 2017.
- Andrea Alliston and Nicola Shaver, How to Survive Complex Projects, Part 2: Commitment to the User Experience, ILTA KM blog, Mar. 7, 2017.
- Andrea Alliston and Nicola Shaver, How to Survive Complex Projects, Part 3: Chunking to Completion, ILTA KM blog, Mar. 21, 2017.
- Andrea Alliston and Nicola Shaver, How to Survive Complex Projects, Part 4: A Marathon, Not a Sprint, ILTA KM blog, Apr. 5, 2017.
- Andrea Alliston and Nicola Shaver, How to Survive Complex Projects, Part 5: Getting Your Testing Right, ILTA KM blog, Apr. 20, 2017.
- Andrea Alliston and Nicola Shaver, How to Survive Complex Projects, Part 6: Countdown to Launch and the Rule of Seven, ILTA KM blog, May 3, 2017.
- Stuart Barr, Neroli Butt, Vedika Mehera, Darth Vaughn, Successful Legal Project Management, ILTACON, Aug. 17, 2017.
Portals and Search
- Glenn LaForce, Todd J. Friedlich, Douglas Freeman and Peter Wallqvist, The Future of Search in Law Firms, ILTACON, Aug. 14, 2017.
- Barry Wheeler, SharePoint Intranet Home Page Project, ILTA blog, Nov. 16, 2017.