Once is , twice is a coincidence, and the third time is a pattern. If that is true, then this 3rd annual KM Round-Up post marks a pattern, now a year-end ritual to complement your holiday madness. You can read 2016’s “chance” here and 2017’s “coincidence” there. But the gist of it is that we assume your professional and/or personal life got in the way and you missed some of ILTA’s excellent programming related to knowledge management. Based on the amount of traffic the round-up posts get, you’re not alone. Below is a list, loosely organized into categories, of KM-related programming. Because KM professionals have varied interests, I tend to embrace a broad range of content for this post, including things like innovation and data analytics, but leaving out some other areas that may not as commonly fall to KM, such as pricing and security, even though many of us are best buddies with our pricing and security colleagues.
Pour yourself a glass of eggnog and join in as we reflect on 2018. Some observations:
- If all this programming were a single word cloud, the word “Innovation” would be really, really big. Enormous, in fact.
- Despite our penchant for calling everything innovative, we are over the hype. After years’ frothy excitement over artificial intelligence, we now want contributors to prove it with specific use cases, screenshots and practical tips. Don’t tell me how it should work; tell me how it has actually worked.
- Many KMers are revisiting the classics, but applying lessons learned and improved technology. Bedrock topics, like enterprise search, experience management, and KM strategies, made a strong showing.
- We continue to have wide-ranging interests. I start this list by looking for content by KMers, for KMers and then follow those themes to a broader set of contributors and consumers. There are a lot of diverse topics below. That could mean that we are struggling to focus, or that we are fascinating people to have at a cocktail party.
All entries are hyperlinked, so you can dive into interesting content without delay. Do keep in mind, though, that you may need to log into the ILTA website first to access some of the links.
Happy happy, !
- Joe Davis, AI at ILTACON 2017 – Part 1, ILTA blog, Feb. 5, 2018.
- Joe Davis, AI at ILTACON 2017 – Part 2, ILTA blog, Feb. 12, 2018.
- Joe Davis, AI at ILTACON 2017 – Part 3, ILTA blog, Feb. 19, 2018.
- Alistair Wye and Dene Rowe, Embed Artificial Intelligence To Future-Proof Your Firm, ILTA Webinar, March 27, 2018.
- Richard Tromans (moderator), Noah , Christina Wojcik, Bill Koch, James Lee Martin Blackburn, Where is Artificial Intelligence Making a Big Difference? (Artificial Intelligence Series, Part 1 of 4), ILTACON, Aug. 20, 2018.
- Richard Tromans (moderator), Jose Lazares, Daniel Katz, Chang Zi Quan Johannes Stiehler, Code of Ethics and How Does the ABA Fit into Artificial Intelligence? (Artificial Intelligence Series, Part 2 of 4), ILTACON, Aug. 21, 2018.
- Richard Tromans (moderator), Sondra Rebenchuk, Arup Das, Laura Van Wyngaarden and Peter Wallqvist, The Reality of Artificial Intelligence in your Legal Practice (Artificial Intelligence Series, Part 3 of 4), ILTACON, Aug. 22, 2018.
- Thomas Hamilton, Ned Gannon and Anand Upadhye, Artificial Intelligence Beyond the Hype (Artificial Intelligence Series, Part 4 of 4), ILTACON, Aug. 23, 2018.
- Matt Miller, Tami Collingwood, Thomas Martin Serena Wellen, How Chatbots are Changing the Way We Work, ILTACON, Aug. 22, 2018.
- Mark Gerow, Anatomy of a Knowledgebot, ILTA Peer to Peer Magazine, Fall 2018.
- Flesher, Automating Knowledge Delivery Using Knowledge Bots, KM White Paper, Dec. 2018.
- Luke Kopemeyer, Katrina (Kate) Jasaitis and David Sanders, Leveraging Technology as a Driver for Improved Client Experience, ILTA webinar, Dec. 6, 2018.
- Holly Hanna, Vivian Liu-Somers, Rob MacAdam, Legal Operations and Law Firm KM Collaboration, ILTACON, Aug. 21, 2018.
- Sukesh Kamra, Amy Monaghan and Jason Jones, Serving Up Tools Clients Really Want, ILTACON, Aug. 22, 2018.
- Chad Conrow and Dan Hauck, Collaboration Platform Strategies: How They Overlap and How to Use Them Effectively, ILTACON, Aug. 21, 2018.
- Scott Reid, Stuart Barr Jennifer Bel, If You Build It, Will They Communicate? Driving Social Collaboration, ILTACON, Aug. 21, 2018.
- Zena Appelbaum, An Introduction to Competitive Intelligence in Law Firms, ILTA webinar, Nov. 7, 2018.
- Steve A. Lastres, From Content Aggregation to Content Intelligence, KM White Paper, Dec. 2018.
- Zena Appelbaum (moderator), Denise Rabogliatti, Mark Gediman Alanna Dalton White, Competitive Intelligence Is a Collaborative Effort: How Several Departments Work Together, ILTA webinar, Dec. 19, 2018.
- David Hobbie and Will Pett, Data Visualization in Legal Organizations: Tales from the Trenches, ILTA webinar, May 15, 2018.
- Ed Walters, Data Analytics in Law: A Primer (Data Analytics Series, Part 1 of 4), ILTACON, Aug. 20, 2018.
- Andrew Baker (moderator), Bennett Borden, Aaron Crews Peter Geovanes, Building and Institutionalizing Data Analytics Capabilities within Legal (Data Analytics Series, Part 2 of 4), ILTACON, Aug. 21, 2018.
- Andrew Baker (moderator), Brownie Davis, Michael Dov Nogroski and Raul Taveras, Advanced Data Analytics in Legal, (Data Analytics Series, Part 3 of 4), ILTACON, Aug. 23, 2018
- GlennLaForce, Meredith Williams-Range Joe , Leveraging Technology to Harness Data and Drive Efficiency in Your Firm, ILTACON, Aug. 23, 2018.
- Bennett B. Borden, Revolutionizing the Practice of Law through Data Science, KM White Paper, Dec. 2018.
- Meredith L. Williams-Range, Law Firms Harnessing the Power of Data, KM White Paper, Dec. 2018.
Document Assembly/Document Automation
- Anthony Signorotti, What is Document Automation?, ILTA webinar, Jan. 8, 2018.
- Barron Henley, Mickey Lloyd, Angela Banegas Silvia LeBlanc, Succeeding with Document Automation, ILTACON, Aug. 22, 2018.
- Joshua Fireman, Rick Krzyminski, Charlotte Logullo and Jennifer Mendez, Knowledge Management Search Tool Stories, ILTA webinar, 21, 2018
- Todd Friedlich, Rick Krzyminski and Simon Pecovnik, New Frontiers in Enterprise Search, ILTACON, Aug. 20, 2018.
- Amy Halverson, Enterprise Search – a 2018 Round-Up, ILTA KM blog, June 25, 2018.
- Chris Fritsch, Kate Cain Terra Liddell, How to Make a Smart Choice for Law Firm Experience Management, ILTACON, Aug. 21, 2018.
- Keith Wewe, Barry Solomon, Keith Lipman, Pangilinan Steve , Successfully Implementing Law Firm Experience Management, ILTACON, Aug. 22, 2018.
- David Ackert, Jennifer Klyse, The Evolving World of Client Relationship Management (CRM), ILTACON, Aug. 20, 2018.
- Cindy Thurston Bare and Keith Wewe, Technology-Centric Experience and Proposal Management, ILTA webinar, 13, 2018.
- Deborah S. Panella and Sharon Lee, ILTACON 2018—Sessions of Interest to Knowledge Management Professionals, ILTA KM blog, Aug. 13, 2018.
- Steve Lastres, Andrew Baker and Karl Haraldsson, Data Analytics Series Coming to ILTACON 2018, ILTA KM Blog, 16, 2018.
- Gwyn McAlpine and Amy Monaghan, Knowledge Management Discussion: ILTACON 2018 , KM Quarterly Roundtable recording, Sept. 12, 2018.
- Sharon Lee, ILTACON 2018 Recap, ILTA KM blog, Sept. 28, 2018.
- Sarah Kavanaugh, Sean Monaghan Paul VanderMeer, moderated by Gillian Glass, Innovation for Smaller Firms, ILTA webinar, April 17, 2018.
- Robert Garmaise, Eric Hunter and Ali Shahidi, A Firm Lift: Create a Culture of Innovation, ILTA webinar, Apr. 26, 2018.
- Lisa Bodell, KILL THE COMPANY: End the Status Quo, Start an Innovation Revolution, Keynote, ILTACON, Aug. 20, 2018.
- Nancy Jessen, Umair Muhajir, Dan Safran and Daryl Shetterly, Emerging Challenges to Law Firm Dominance: Trends in Legal Service Providers, Competition and Capacity, ILTACON, Aug. 20, 2018.
- Michael Callier (moderator), Jay D. Hull and Beau Mersereau, How to Start an Innovation Initiative at Your Firm (Innovation Series, Part 1 of 3), ILTACON, Aug. 20, 2018.
- Jeff Schwarz, John Elbasan, John Fernandez, Daniel W. Linna and Zabrina Jenkins, Crossing Intersections – Dramatic Shifts in Legal Services, Keynote, ILTACON, Aug. 21, 2018.
- Kady von Schoeler, Jack Thompson, Penny Tupy Felicity V. Conrad, Innovative Use of Technology Inside Corporate Legal Departments, ILTACON, Aug. 21, 2018.
- Mara Nickerson, Camille Reynolds, David Curle, Zac Hudson and Carlos Gamez, Legal Innovation Case Studies with Real Impact (Innovation Series, Part 2 of 3), ILTACON, Aug. 21, 2018.
- Scott Rechtschaffen, Wendy Curtis, Alison A Grounds, Jon Grainger Sean Hewens, Leading Innovation – Stories of Perspective, Persistence and Patience, Keynote, ILTACON, Aug. 22, 2018.
- Wendy Curtis, Pratik Patel Jo Aitken, Chief Innovation Officer Panel: How to Measure the ROI of an Innovation Initiative (Innovation Series, Part 3 of 3), ILTACON, Aug. 22, 2018.
- Christian Zust, Quit Hiding Your Light: Talk to Clients about Innovation, ILTA webinar, Sept. 6, 2018.
- Abhijat Saraswat, Rob MacAdam, Chris Nyland, Jamie Whalebone and Rebecca Wint, Innovation Current State – Hype vs Reality, Insight Conference, Nov. , 2018.
- Lucy Dillon, Shawn Curran, Nick Pryor, Rob Booth, Peter Impey, Lessons Learned Along the Road to Innovation, Insight Conference, Nov. , 2018.
- Ginevra Saylor, A Practical Guide to Disciplined Innovation and Other Oxymorons, KM White Paper, Dec. 2018.
- Kathleen Hogan, Practical Tips on Staying Practical in an Innovation Culture, KM White Paper, Dec. 2018.
Intranets and Portals
- Jeffrey Sewell, KM Quarterly Roundtable Recap (of Measuring the Value of Your KM Program roundtable discussion held on Feb. 15, 2018), ILTA blog, Feb. 22, 2018.
- Alexis Soard, Knowledge Management for Everyone: Quick Tips to Develop a Successful Program, ILTA KM blog, March 30, 2018.
- Kate Simpson, Kathryn McRae, Danielle Miller Olofsson, and Thao Tran, Me, Myself and I: Starting, Sustaining and Focusing a KM Department of One, ILTACON, Aug. 20, 2018.
- Bryn Bowen and Joshua Fireman, Knowledge Management Assessments and Strategies, ILTA webinar, 18, 2018.
- Lucy Dillon and Rachel Shields-Williams, Incentivizing Participation in Knowledge Management, ILTA webinar, Nov. 20, 2018.
- Amy Halverson and Daniel Wood, ILTA 2018 KM Survey: Growth, New Technology, and Familiar Challenges, KM White Paper, Dec. 2018.
- Cindy Thurston Bare and Vishal Agnihotri, What Legal KM Professionals Can Learn from KM in the Big Four, KM White Paper, Dec. 2018.
- Emily Colantino and Mark Ford, Avoid the Long and Winding Road: Develop a KM Roadmap, KM White Paper, Dec. 2018.
- Gwyn McAlpine and Amy Monaghan, Evolving KM Episode 1: Introduction to the Evolving KM Podcast, Podcast, July 31, 2018.
- Toby Brown, hosted by Gwyn McAlpine and Amy Monaghan, Evolving KM Episode 2: A Veteran Perspective – The Prophet of Profit, Podcast, Aug. 13, 2018.
- Patrick DiDomenico, Pat Mansuy, Pramesh Naik, Nick Robertson and Angie Zimmern, Pitch Perfect: Masterful Pitches to Get Buy-In For Your Next Project, ILTACON, Aug. 20, 2018.
- Sukesh Kamra, hosted by Gwyn McAlpine and Amy Monaghan, Evolving KM Episode 3: A Veteran Perspective – From Tech Law to Tech and Law, Podcast, Sept. 12, 2018.
- Kim Stein, hosted by Gwyn McAlpine and Amy Monaghan, Evolving KM Episode 4: A Veteran Perspective – KM with Kim, Podcast, Sept. 12, 2018.
- Kate Simpson, hosted by Gwyn McAlpine and Amy Monaghan, Evolving KM Episode 5: North of the Border and Across the Pond – User-Focused KM, Podcast, Oct. 11, 2018.
- Joshua Fireman, Ron Friedmann Tom Baldwin, hosted by Gwyn McAlpine and Amy Monaghan, Evolving KM Episode 6: The Fireman Brain Trust, Podcast, Oct. 26, 2018.
- Austin James, Morgan Roglake and Eric Villanueva, hosted by Gwyn McAlpine and Amy Monaghan, Evolving KM Episode 7: Future Legal Technologists – The SEC Compliance Student Team, Podcast, Nov. 28, 2018.
Research and Practice Support
Training, Onboarding Promotion
- Marlene Gebauer, Steve Lastres and Jean O’Grady, Knowledge Management: Generating Awareness and Adoption, ILTA webinar, May 22, 2018.
- Brian Donato and Marlene Gebauer, Innovative Ways to Promote Knowledge Management, ILTA webinar, Aug. 9, 2018.
- Vin Colavita, Helene Laval Thao Tran, Knowledge Management Training and Onboarding New Hires, ILTA webinar, Sept. 11, 2018.
If you’ve read through this list and said, “hey, my name’s not up there!”, never fear. 2019 will offer lots of opportunities to contribute as a writer or speaker. Contact the KM and Marketing Technology Content Coordinating Team to offer up your services. You can also update your ILTA Profile to include your areas of knowledge and expertise. In fact, why don’t you put that on your new year’s resolution list right now? Happy listening, reading learning!#KnowledgeManagementandSearch